Monday, January 19, 2015

How I got FREE K-Cups and Money Back!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I believe it is important for a beginner to shop at one specific store to test out the store's coupon policy and get used to the hang of things. Another reason is that many of the retailers in NYC offer rewards for making qualifying purchases. For example, CVS offers "Extra Bucks" that are essentially coupons for cash off your next purchase. These extrabucks are linked to your Extracare card and expire within a month. With your Extracard, you are able to receive additional store coupons by scanning your card at the red Coupon Center. You can also access these coupons by logging into your CVS account online. Sometimes you receive special discount coupons by email.

From my first CVS trip, I acquired $8.99 in Extrabucks. I also received a $4 off a $20 purchase coupon by email and sent it to my card so that I could print it in store. I ended up getting free k-cups and toothpaste when I used those extrabucks and the discount coupon to pay for some of my total. I actually made $2.63 back!



Here's how I did it:

Starbucks K-Cups 10 ct
Starbucks, Spend 20 Get 5 EB through 1/18
On Sale for $6.99
- $2 off manufacturer's coupon
Bought 3 boxes activating the EB promotion

Colgate Total Whitening 4pk Travel Size, 4ct
Colgate, Buy 1 Get 3 EB (Multipack Only)
$3.39

Total: $18.39 after manufacturer's coupons only
Used $5 EB, $3EB, $0.99 EB, and $4 off $20 purchase, making new total $5.37
Received $5 EB and $3 EB
Final Price: -$2.63

WooHoo! Now I have $8 EB to spend on my next CVS purchase.
The key to couponing is to use manufacturer's coupon on items on sale in addition to a store coupon, or in conjunction with a store promotion. That way, you are able to pay as little out of pocket as possible with each shopping trip.

Thanks for reading.
- Chris

0 comments:

Post a Comment